A computer is made up of a variety of hardware devices and programs with the help of which the computer performs its work. The computer also has its own control program which operates the computer and handles the various devices and programs of the computer. This program of the computer is called the operating system.
But do you know what is an operating system, what are the main functions of an operating system, how many types of operating systems are there, what are the features of operating system and what are the examples of operating system.
If you do not know the answer to the above questions, then read this article completely. In this article, we have given you complete information about the operating system, which will definitely prove useful and beneficial for you.
What is operating system ?
Operating System, which is also called OS in short form and operating system in Hindi, is a software in the computer that operates the hardware and other software of the computer.
Operating system is very important for running the computer. With the help of the operating system, the hardware of the computer becomes functional. If the operating system is not in the computer, then the computer cannot do its work, it will remain like a non-living one.
Operating system is a system software that acts as an interface between the computer and the user. Whenever the computer is turned on, the first program to be loaded is the operating system itself. OS itself manages all the operations running in the computer, hence it is also called Programs of Program.
How does an operating system work in a computer ?
Operating system is the most important program of the computer. Which performs all the simple and important tasks in the computer. For example, understanding the keys to be inputted by the keyboard and displaying them on a computer screen. Manage files and directories on the hardware and communicate with all parts of the computer. Apart from this, it is capable of doing many other types of work. Which we will try to know in detail below.
- memory Management – The primary memory or main memory in the computer is called memory management. The operating system tracks every function of the primary memory, that is, which part of it is in use and which part is not in use. Where is the memory being used in the computer, how much memory is being used. Finds it and also makes memory available on demand. During multiprocessing, the OS decides which process will get when and how much memory.
- Processor Management – In multiprogramming environment the OS decides which process to use the processor, when and for how long. Such a process is called scheduling. The OS monitors the status of the processor process. The program of OS which is used for this task is known as traffic controller. The OS allocates CPU to the processor to complete the task. And frees the processor after the task is finished.
- Device Management –The operating system manages device communication through its respective driver. For this the OS monitors all the devices. The program of OS which is used for this task. This is known as Input Output Controller. The OS decides which process to give to the device, when and for how long. When the device is done, the OS activates them again.
- File Management – File systems are usually organized into directories for easy navigation and access. The OS keeps track of the information location, user status, etc. of these files. It tracks every information. Also what is the location of the files. When were the files created, what is the size of the files. And also which user created it. All this information also records to the OS.
- Security – The OS prevents unauthorized access to our system, which means that no user other than you can access it without your permission. And for this the OS gives full permission to give password. When you turn on your computer, they will first ask you for your password, then only respect you for further processing. It keeps your computer safe.
Also Read –
- What is webcam and How does it work.
- What is Google Search console ? and how to use google search console .
Type of Operating system ?
- Multi user Operating System
- Single User Operating System
- Multitasking Operating System
- Multiprocessing Operating system
- Network Operating System
Multi user Operating System – This operating system allows more than one user to work simultaneously at a time. This OS is used in computer networks. Which allows more than one user to access the same data and application at the same time.
Single User Operating System – This operating system which allows only one user to operate at a time. This is called a single user operating system. The operating system used for personal computers is a single user OS, which is encouraged to manage one task at a time.
Multitasking Operating System – This operating system allows the user to run many different programs simultaneously. In this operating system, you can also write email at a time as well as listen to songs as well as you can also play Facebook.
Multiprocessing Operating system – The term multiprocessing is used to describe a single processing method. Where two or more processors are connected to each other. In this OS the instructions of different and independent programs in the system are executed by more than one processor at the same time i.e. different instructions are executed one after the other by the processor as they are received from the same program.
Network Operating System – A network operating system provides its service to computers that are connected to a network. It is a type of OS that allows multiple computers to communicate simultaneously to share files and access data from other hardware devices. network operating system
The operating system running on the server is.
Distributed operating system – Distributed Operating Systems are those operating systems that store data and distribute it across multiple locations by using multiple central processors in this operating system. And the processing work is divided between this processor. This central processor can be a computer or other device and all these processors are connected to each other through communication slices. One advantage of this is that even when one computer is turned off, work can be done from another computer. A computer does not exist without an operating system. A computer without an OS is like an empty box. The OS acts as an interface between the user and the computer hardware and if your computer does not have the OS installed then the connection between your keyboard, mouse, CPU etc. will never be established.
Features of Operating System?
- The operating system runs other programs on the computer.
- Operating system manages the computer’s memory, devices, files, processors.
- The operating system also performs the task of establishing coordination between the computer program and the user.
- Operating system is easy to use, today’s operating systems are based on the principle of graphic user interface. No coding is required to give commands to the computer.
- Operating system is used to start the computer.